Saturday, August 1, 2015

Meal planning?

Hi all,

As I leave tomorrow, this will likely be my last piece of writing.

We have had a fairly quiet week, but busy enough. Since Tuesday, we helped out in the soup kitchen every lunchtime as they were short staffed at times. I think I imagined having less to do when we were here, so I brought craft for that. But I have actually spent very little time crocheting and never did any embroidery. We have spent more time with other people than I expected and became connected to the soup kitchen for our time here. At the same time there has been more time to read and pray than at home.

Buying food here is very different than at home. There are three places to buy food (strictly speaking, I think there may be a fourth, but it sells only country food) - Baffin Canners, Arctic Ventures and North Mart. Baffin Canners is the cheapest, but carries a small stock. Strangely it has the best range of herb teas. Arctic Ventures is the nearest thing to a department store here as it has an electrical department, clothes and local books. It has less lines in food though than North Mart. So most of our shopping is dome in North Mart and it is the closest too. Although all are within walking distance. Last night we had Karen and Darren round for a meal. I found a pasta recipe off the BBC website (no recipe books here) that I liked the look of called Spicy Pasta with Broccoli and Tomato sauce. So armed with my shopping list I headed over to North Mart. Well first off there was no broccoli, so I substituted a red and a yellow pepper. Then there was no spring onion, so I substituted a red onion. Usually there are broccoli and spring onions, but the shelves were very bare last night. Then lastly there was no chilli (hard to believe I know), so after looking at the pathetic looking herbs I decided that oregano was the healthiest looking and would have to substitute for chilli!!!!!!!! Thankfully there were plenty of tomatoes, so I even had a choice of variety. Tomatoes seem to be the last thing to go here. Amazingly the Pasta with Pepper, Tomato and Herb sauce tasted fine. Garlic, cream cheese and cream do help! :)

Back in Ireland on Monday evening so see you all soon, God willing. :) :) :)